Monday, April 2, 2012

5K Number Two: The Firefly Run

Ugh. Another 5K? Really? Could I possibly want to do another 5K? No Way. Well Maybe. Well...yes. Once I saw what the Firefly Run was all about, I was all in. A night run with lights. Cool. Very Cool. Beat the heat, glow, and raise money for Children's Medical Center (each city appears to have its own charity...Children's Medical Center was Dallas') ? So I told Neil I would be there. We made a plan to use glow sticks to light ourselves up just for fun. The Firefly Run in Dallas took place on March 31,2012. Just to give you a taste of what it was like, here is a video:



Firefly Run DFW 2011 from Firefly Run on Vimeo.

 The Firefly Run is happening all around the country. I would totally recommend that everyone do it, and have fun! If you want to see where it is closest to you, go to www.fireflyrun.com

Just imagine running and looking ahead. All you see are red blinking lights running in the darkness in front of you. Tiny, blinking "fireflies". It was truly amazing. There was only one problem. Me. Despite the fact that I have been exercising 2-3 times for the last month and eating healthier, I still suck. I didn't even run a mile without having to stop. My throat was dry (next time I will bring my own water) and even though Neil and I ran walked, I got about half way through before I got an awful stomach and side cramp. I felt like I might vomit. But we walked for a little while and managed somehow to complete the 5K with a time of 45:35. Not too awful considering the women's average was 40:00. If I could just do a little better each time then maybe... And that is how I got the idea. What if I did a 5K every month? One run a month. Could I get just a little better every month? Could this actually become fun? Would pigs fly and would the world stop turning? Maybe. I ran it by my running buddy Neil, and he was in. Welcome to my adventure. Stay tuned for what's next, oh and if you want, come and join us. The more the merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am no running expert...just a girl on a mission to run a 5K a month. Leave me a message here if you have any comments, questions or just want to say hi.